[LAU] OT: Advice on Linux-compatible printers

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Jun 23 15:57:27 CEST 2021

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 21:39:48 -1000
david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> Good evening!
>
> I have a Brother HL-L2300D. It claims to be able to do 600 or 1200dpi,
> but all attempts at printing to it using those resolutions fail

I've had excellent results with Brother devices on Linux.

You don't mention which Linux you use or how you may have installed the
drivers.  On Arch, there's a package in the AUR (Arch User Repository)
for virtually every model.  Those packages were built from the official
Brother drivers, which can be downloaded right from their website.

I suspect your issue is a case of having a driver that's a close but not
exact match for your printer.  I'd check to see if you can get a specific
package for your distro, or download the drivers from Brother and re-run
the CUPS installation.

Good luck!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com