[LAU] Mixers and Free Software (was Open Sound Control: Is it still a thing?)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun May 2 02:25:14 CEST 2021

"David W. Jones" <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> writes:

> Sorry, you're right. I was looking at a different image. It showed the
> XR18 with a separate hardware mixing board.
>
> My take on digital vs analog mixers is the digital digitizes incoming
> audio, processes it digitally, and outputs digital (via USB) and
> analog (via audio cables) audio. This is based solely on my thoughts,
> no evidence. I've never worked with a digital mixer.

>From a signal processing perspective, it could make sense to do the
mixing and IIR-based filtering after the immediate A/D conversion stage
_without_ digital antialiasing filtering and downsampling and skip the
respective inverse stages for D/A conversion.  That could cut down on
conversion delay and phase artifacts.

Whether this is actually done, I am skeptical: high-quality A/D
converters have the filtering and downsampling stuff integrated and I
doubt that they have a fast unfiltered parallel high-rate side-channel
available.

Here too, "This is based solely on my thoughts, no evidence. I've never
worked with a digital mixer." is applicable.

--
David Kastrup