[LAU] Installer Script for cm-incudine on Arch Linux-based Distros

Brandon Hale bthaleproductions at gmail.com
Tue May 4 23:17:37 CEST 2021

First off, I am by no means an expert. I've been using cm-incudine for
about 4-5 months, so I am still learning a good portion of it. I haven't
used much of Supercollider either. I have more of a background in
Pure-data and pd-l2ork.

I mainly use cm-incudine to do realtime composition with systems. Like,
I make some code to output midi. I have recently done a livestream
working through a track I made in two hours using cm-incudine.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INg7lqMifXY&t=234s> Maybe you can get
an idea of the kinds of work I've been making with cm-incudine by
watching some of that.

What makes cm-incudine special, is it integrates cm 2.0 with incudine,
which is a powerful synthesis engine in common lisp
<http://incudine.sourceforge.net/>. This allows you to use code from cm,
to then output midi with incudine, giving you a robust realtime output,
while still giving you the ability to output midi and .ly files. I've
also used it to output OSC messages with lisp, allowing me to connect
lisp programming with OSC. You could then send out values of a .csv file
through OSC with just a simple (defun) and some (nth)s, for instance.

Another note is that cm-incudine is not the current version of cm. The
current version of cm uses a type of scheme to do the programming and
looks like it has its own integrated development environment using juce,
I think. I'm not exactly sure, as I don't use it, but it is quite
different from cm-incudine, which uses and older version of cm that
still used common lisp. I'd honestly be interested in hearing the
history of common music and as to why everything changed so drastically
if anybody on here knows. Based on the documentation of cm 2.0 and
_Notes from the Metalevel_, it seems Heinrich Taube liked some of
scheme's language more. This is just me guessing though, I don't
actually know why cm 3.0 switched away from common lisp.

The cool part of cm-incudine for me is being able to integrate other
common lisp packages on top of it and having a rich access to the common
lisp language, which I'm still learning. Orm Finnendahl, the person who
introduced me to it (also the person who combined cm with incudine)
showed me an awesome live piece <https://youtu.be/VCO1uSf5jE4> he
created using cm-incudine where everything was being handled with sbcl,
including a qt gui the players are using (isn't that insane!?). Being
able to use cl-collider with incudine is also appealing.

Lastly, cm-incudine lets me stay in emacs to make music, and slime is
fantastic.

Hopefully this wasn't too long of a read and I hope this helps,

Brandon Hale