[LAU] Fwd: The audacity of Audacity: Telemetry / Google Analytics added

Filipe Coelho falktx at falktx.com
Sat May 8 19:51:45 CEST 2021

On 08/05/21 18:08, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Sat, 8 May 2021 12:28:44 -0400
> Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 'A massive middle finger': Open-source audio fans up in arms after
>> Audacity opts to add telemetry capture
>>
>> Move comes days after firm acquired by Muse Group
>>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/07/audacity_telemetry/
>>
>> The article notes that it's actually an "opt in" but cautions that
>> users might mistakenly do so.
> Indeed. Not good news. It's been widely reported. I first saw this on 'The
> Register'. People are just unhappy about the telemetry, but absolutely furious
> about the two third parties involved. I've used Audacity for years for simple
> top-and-tailing. I won't be doing so any more.

I do not expect Linux distributions to enable the telemetry.
And from what Audacity developers have said, there is a compile-time
option for it which is disabled by default.

I have looked into their CI builds, seems just using regular Github actions.
So maintaining a fork for just build-time disabled telemetry should be
quite okay.

It is very sad to see though, that is for sure.
One of the very first things they do to "modernize" the codebase is
adding telemetry, hah, really fits the "modern" attitudes for sure...

PS: they already added google analytics and other stuff on top of
musescore. I personally have little hopes of them backing down from this.