[LAU] Audio Drop-outs and JACK Errors - Seeking Assistance

David Klann dxklann at pm.me
Tue May 11 15:26:17 CEST 2021

Hi Linux Audio Enthusiasts!

I'm a fairly long-time JACK user (more than a decade, anyway), but I
must admit I don't really know it that well. I'm seeking guidance with
the following situation.

I am hearing audio "drop-outs" (a second or two of silence) that seem to
coincide with this error in jackd output:

     JackAudioAdapterInterface::PushAndPull ringbuffer failure... reset

The audio hardware is a Digigram LX-DANTE connected to the JACK graph
via ALSA device hw0,0. jackd --version is

     jackdmp version 1.9.18 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 8

Also, jackd output fairly regularly (several times per minute) shows
messages like:

     JackRingBuffer::Write : consumer too slow, skip frames = 1024

and

     JackLibSampleRateResampler::ReadResample error written_frames = 1020
     Output available = 1022

Where the number after the "=" in the "written_frames" line is between
1020 and 1023, and the number in "Output available" is always two
greater than the previous.

I start jackd (as Linux user 'root') with the command:

/usr/bin/jackd --realtime --name default -d dummy -r 48000

And then add the Digigram client with the command:

/usr/bin/jack_load -i "-d alsa -d hw:0,0 -i 64 -o 64 -r 48000 -p 1024 -n
2" Digigram audioadapter

Thanks for any thoughts about these drop-outs! And please let me know if
there are other troubleshooting tools available.

Best,

   ~David Klann