[LAU] Audio-Video desktop recording

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue May 11 20:00:37 CEST 2021

Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk> writes:

> About 8-9 years ago I attempted to record video and on-board sound along with
> an external microphone. There were two programs I tried, Record My Desktop,
> and (I think) Simple Screen Recorder.
> I couldn't get either of them to manage the microphone, and only one to include
> stereo audio - and even that was a struggle (can't remember which one).
>
> I'm wondering what the current situation is for the best possible prospect of
> doing this. I won't be using a camera, but want to be able to use a microphone
> for voiceover, so that of course would be mono.
>
> Also I envisage doing this in comparatively short sections, then stitching
> them all together afterwards to make a seemingly continuous vid.
>
> Can anyone make suggestions. The kit I'll be using will have an earlier 4 core
> AMD Ryzen, with a reasonably modern Radeon GPU card and connected to an M-Audio
> Mtrack 8.

OBS Studio is pretty good for pasting together several sources
(including application windows) into one or several "scenes" and then
recording (or streaming, or injecting into a videoconference via
v4l2loopback device) a sequence of live sources embedded into switched
scenes.

Check out <https://youtu.be/Vn1f70IH-Es?t=755> for some stuff where I
pasted commentary over the slides of a presentation and then did a
mix-in commentary with a preexisting video, bringing in various (live)
application windows to illustrate what I am talking about.

While several such passages (and the transitions) were done with OBS
Studio, the final output was then stitched together using Shotcut.  Also
the live commentary was overlong and I had numerous excursions into
irrelevant matter: cutting stuff out from the original OBS Studio take
was also done in Shotcut.

--
David Kastrup