[LAU] List of FOSS Sampled Instrument Libraries for musicians - Hand selected and curated

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri May 28 01:26:55 CEST 2021

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 5:21 PM Roberto <roberto at zenvoid.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 04:03:03PM -0600, Paul Davis wrote:
> > You;ve also skipped all of the libraries on pianobook.co.uk that are in
> > DecentSampler format, and can thus be played in either DecentSampler
> > (gratis, non-libre) or sfizz (gratis & libre)
>
> I think that they were excluded on purpose by the author. Those samples
> are free to use within your own compositions, but the samples themselves
> are not free (as in the free software / open source meaning):
>
> https://www.pianobook.co.uk/terms-conditions/
>
> "You may not sell sample(s), or give away any sample(s) for use by any
> other person(s)."

Extremely fair point. I didn't read the original post carefully enough to
realize that the libre-distributable part was an important quality for the
list.

The conditions on pianobook about redistribution are part of a general
pattern of sort-of-friendly-towards-FLOSS seen in many of the things that
Chris Henson touches. He's a fan of people getting together to do things as
a community and making the results available at no charge, but push that
just a little further than he wants to go by himself, and you see the
limits.