[LAU] can jackd or ardour be forced to use interleaved mode?

Chris Caudle 6807.chris at pop.powweb.com
Fri May 28 22:08:28 CEST 2021

On Sun, May 16, 2021 1:00 pm, Robin Gareus wrote:
> Try ardour/git that allows for non power of two buffers. or more
> specifically the ALSA backend explicitly offers millisecond buffer-sizes
> for devices that require it e.g. recent HDA Intel via SOF (Sound Open
> Firmware).
>

> Also as of yesterday's git, today's nightly.ardour.org build
>
>   ARDOUR_ALSA_DEBUG=1024 Ardour6

Thanks, the latest version of the driver also allows setting 64 as a
period size now (even though the network side is still using 48 samples
per network packet).  Others have reported that the recent driver change
allows running jackd with period 64, but on my machine it does not seem
possible at the moment to run at periods that small.  I have a PREEMPT
kernel, but not PREEMPT_RT, perhaps full RT is needed, at least on my
machine, to run with periods that short.
Still investigating as I get time.  I like the flexibility that network
interfaces will give, but this is definitely not going to be like using a
USB interface any time soon.

> will first try to use interleaved access and then fall back to
> non-interleaved instead of the other way around.

Also found that the driver was advertising non-interleaved access as a
valid mechanism, but did not properly implement that.  The latest driver
version does not set the attribute bit for non-interleaved, so I think
that problem is also solved at the driver side now.

thanks,
Chris Caudle