[LAU] Current Developments in Linux Audio ?

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 21:02:40 CET 2021

Not sure Pipewire is needed for using multiple interfaces.

My employer uses VMware's Horizon Client. I have two audio devices - a USB headset and a separate Behringer USB card.

Connected to work, I can use the headset at the same time that mplayer is playing media through the Behringer.

On November 4, 2021 7:55:57 AM HST, nik at parkellipsen.de wrote:
> Hmm ok ... seems like I should really give PipeWire a try. I had heard about
> it but the last time I checked it was still in fairly early development.
>
> Thanks for all the good hints !
>
> Best,
>

> Brandon Hale wrote on 02.11.2021 18:48 (GMT +01:00):
> > > You can do that right now (alsa_in/out or zita-ajbridge) but it will
> > > move you into the realm of clocks drift. It might not matter that much
> > > depending on your use case but you said "sampling rate when I'm doing
> > > pro audio work". It might not be that pro audio anymore. I have not
> > > tested pipewire but I can't imagine that pipewire and multiple cards
> > > would be any better in that respect.
> > There's more to pipewire than that. It's a different audio model, so I
> > would say it probably does work better to use multiple interfaces. It's
> > worked better for me in pipewire than with alsa_in/out at least. I've
> > tried alsa_in/out, but it is a delicate process.
> >
> > There are more benefits than the one I gave (like unified video
> > support), but that was the one feature that really blew me away.

> > > You can do that right now (alsa_in/out or zita-ajbridge) but it will
> > > move you into the realm of clocks drift. It might not matter that much
> > > depending on your use case but you said "sampling rate when I'm doing
> > > pro audio work". It might not be that pro audio anymore. I have not
> > > tested pipewire but I can't imagine that pipewire and multiple cards
> > > would be any better in that respect.
> > >
> > > For solution with multiple cards have a look at:
> > > https://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html
> > >
> > > And a discussion:
> > >
> > https://discourse.ardour.org/t/using-two-different-soundcards-with-ardour/105727
> > >

> > > I tested the alsa_in/alsa_out solution a few years ago out of sheer
> > > curiosity and it worked, but I would not trust it for an important
> > > live recording.

---
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.