[LAU] New software instrument: handpan

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Nov 10 15:59:20 CET 2021

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 5:30 AM Jeanette C. <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:

> Hey hey,
> there is an updated version, with a much better README, including better
> instructions on how to set up the instrument and configure the scales. Then

This sounds much better than I expected. I attempted to do a PM
handpan some years ago, and along the way collected (and now lost) a
large number of papers about the physics of these instruments. Based
on that, it seemed clear to me that you would need many more
sympathetic resonators than you've done here, but the sound is
actually not bad at all.

However, the behavior seems odd to me. About 50% of the keys on my kbd
trigger a velocity-sensitive sound that doesn't sound much like a
handpan though is somehow related, the other half generate a
velocity-insensitive sound that sounds a lot like a handpan.