[LAU] New software instrument: handpan

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Wed Nov 10 16:15:18 CET 2021

Nov 10 2021, Paul Davis has written:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 5:30 AM Jeanette C. <julien at mail.upb.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hey hey,
>> there is an updated version, with a much better README, including better
>> instructions on how to set up the instrument and configure the scales. Then
>
> This sounds much better than I expected.
Thanks Paul!
> Based
> on that [papers], it seemed clear to me that you would need many more
> sympathetic resonators than you've done here, but the sound is
> actually not bad at all.
I didn't use any paper. Yet, I used some basic knolwedge of physical
modelling. Though mainly, I went by ear, listening to the instrument I
played and starting from there. It's a mix of additive synthesis using
highly resonant mode filters and then added some waveguide components to
aid the sound I wanted. It is very soft though. Still, it runs in
realtime without a hitch. :)

> However, the behavior seems odd to me. About 50% of the keys on my kbd
> trigger a velocity-sensitive sound that doesn't sound much like a
> handpan though is somehow related, the other half generate a
> velocity-insensitive sound that sounds a lot like a handpan.
Ah, I should have made that clearer, another thing to change in the
README. If you don't hit a note that is in the scale, you will just
trigger the resonator. It's a bit like striking a handpan where there is
no note. Not, sure if such areas exist on a real handpan, they certainly
do on a Rav Vast.

Thanks again for trying and commenting so nicely. I hope you can enjoy
some pseudo handpanning some time. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c