[LAU] Electiric wind instrument on linux

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Oct 28 03:18:53 CEST 2021

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 6:42 PM David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> There will be fine points of configuration, probably in
>> /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg .  You might also install the fluidsynth
>> sound fonts and configure Timidity to use them.
>>

> There are no "fluidsynth soundfonts". Fluidsynth loads sample libraries
> ("sound fonts") in the SF2 format. There's nothing unique to Fluidsynth
> about them - dozens if not hundreds of other tools can load them.

If they are there.

dpkg -l fluid-soundfont-*
||/ Name               Version      Architecture Description
+++-==================-============-============-======================================
ii  fluid-soundfont-gm 3.1-5.2      all          Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont (GM)
ii  fluid-soundfont-gs 3.1-5.2      all          Fluid (R3) General MIDI SoundFont (GS)

> I am not sure why you'd mention Timidity in this context. Using fluidsynth
> (or more likely, a GUI front end for it like QSynth) would in 2021, be a
> more straightforward approach, I think.

timidity runs as a daemon which is an advantage.

I had problems getting fluidsynth to do what I want.  However, starting
it with

fluidsynth -m alsa_seq

also provides a port to connect to with aconnect.

--
David Kastrup