[LAU] simple cd player

karl at aspodata.se karl at aspodata.se
Thu Aug 4 16:51:07 CEST 2022

Sam Mulvey:

https://ktqa.org/ is that you ?

> Basically, taking SATA optical players and connecting them to a small
> SBC with a handful of buttons and a display to create a CD experience
> our DJs will be familiar with.   We're assuming we'll have to write
> something custom against libmpv.

Yes, something like that, but for a differnt kind of users.

> There's still a lot of broadcast CD players out there, but keeping them
> alive economically has been difficult.  Being able to use stock optical
> players we can essentially find all day-- and are still being
> manufactured-- will be a help in the future.

There seems to be a decline in optical disc technology.

>From a local distributer I can still order cd-r and dvd-r bulk, but
they have dropped jewel and dvd cases from their product line.
CD-labels and and cases is beginning to be harder and more expensive
to find.

I guess spotify, netflix, smartphones and the like have made physical
cd/dvd's less attractive.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar