[LAU] OT commercial [was: Any 'transport aware' jack-play alternatives?]

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Feb 3 15:11:35 CET 2022

Michael Jarosch <riotsound at riotmusic.de> writes:

> Am 03.02.22 um 14:20 schrieb Chris Caudle:
>> My first instinct is that the effort would have been more usefully
>> applied helping falktx with maintenance and
>> cleanup of the existing jack code
>
> I'm triggered by the phrase "helping falktx", thinking about what any
> no-coder (like me) can do to help him:
>
> https://liberapay.com/falkTX/
> https://www.patreon.com/falktx/
>
> In a worldwide community, not everyone is able to give, but for those
> who can… Just 1 $/€ per month of each would make a difference and
> speed up the development of our main linux audio tools!

"speed up the development" is not a sensible promise when there are no
paid human resources to assign.

It's more of a feedback of how many people are grateful for what one is
doing and can in that manner influence developer enthusiasm.  Also there
are non-human resources like hosting levels and server provision where
it's not really fair to let those who are enthusiastic enough about a
project to do the work for it also pay the bills.

And if you get ripped all over for the umpteenth time because of not
servicing your non-paying customers in enough of an engaging manner,
having someone more appreciative spring for the cost of a consolation
beer may make the difference whether you decide to just ignore the
project for a week or not.

--
David Kastrup