[LAU] youtube videos without youtube [WAS] Re: Another Resonance [music]

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 06:43:28 CET 2022

On 1/3/22 12:17, Jannis Achstetter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what brings you to the conclusion that the youtube-dl project is dead or
> abandoned?
>
> The homepage at https://youtube-dl.org/ looks alive and up-to-date, the
> last commit (which was a release as well) on GitHub
> (https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl) is "just" 18 days ago?
>
> And on my machine I can still download videos and/or audio only via
> youtube-dl.

Well, when I started experiencing dog-slow downloads using youtube-dl, I
checked. I had the then-most current version - which was six months out
of date and the site hadn't been updated in six months. I still had
extremely slow download speeds (dial-up class speeds) using youtube-dl,
that went away entirely using the yt-dlp fork of it.

Trying the various youtube-dl fixes for the slow download speeds didn't
fix anything.

yt-dlp downloads multiple chunks in parallel, so it's extremely fast for me.

> However, of course, providing alternative solutions is beneficial as
> well :)

Yup!
> Best regards,
>     Jannis
>
> Am 03.01.22 um 20:10 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
>> On 01/01/2022 10:42, Will Godfrey wrote:

>>> I like to hear you work but really wish you'd provide a link *other*
>>> than
>>> youtube. I avoid that like the plague these days.
>>>
>> smplayer with smtube [1] seems to be able to play youtube videos by
>> directly opening as File > URL (or from the terminal smplayer
>> <youtube_url>).
>> mpv can also do it, but I think it might be useing youtube-dl in the
>> bacground.

Never heard of smplayer.

Mplayer can't handle YT URLs, it reports it can't seek backward in
linear streams. . The mpv fork can. I don't think it's using youtube-dl,
but who knows.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."