[LAU] youtube videos without youtube [WAS] Re: Another Resonance [music]

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Tue Jan 4 08:47:43 CET 2022

* david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> [2022-01-04 06:47]:
> On 1/3/22 12:17, Jannis Achstetter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what brings you to the conclusion that the youtube-dl project is dead or
> > abandoned?
> >
> > The homepage at https://youtube-dl.org/ looks alive and up-to-date, the
> > last commit (which was a release as well) on GitHub
> > (https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl) is "just" 18 days ago?
> >
> > And on my machine I can still download videos and/or audio only via
> > youtube-dl.
> >
> Well, when I started experiencing dog-slow downloads using youtube-dl, I
> checked. I had the then-most current version - which was six months out of
> date and the site hadn't been updated in six months.

I find that installing youtube-dl via apt will get you only sparse
updates, while when you install it directly from the homepage (its a
python script in effect) you can use its built-in update mechansim
 $ youtube-dl -U
which will get you the most recent updates (about every few weeks or
so), which today is from 2021.12.17

Youtube will do everything to make it hard to use this tool, like
throttling, so the tool needs frequent updates to circumvent this where
possible.

> I still had extremely
> slow download speeds (dial-up class speeds) using youtube-dl, that went away
> entirely using the yt-dlp fork of it.
>
> Trying the various youtube-dl fixes for the slow download speeds didn't fix
> anything.
Keep on trying updating eventually.