[LAU] youtube videos without youtube [WAS] Re: Another Resonance [music]

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 10:16:05 CET 2022

On January 3, 2022 9:47:43 PM HST, "Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com> wrote:
> * david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> [2022-01-04 06:47]:
> > On 1/3/22 12:17, Jannis Achstetter wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > what brings you to the conclusion that the youtube-dl project is dead or
> > > abandoned?
> > >
> > > The homepage at https://youtube-dl.org/ looks alive and up-to-date, the
> > > last commit (which was a release as well) on GitHub
> > > (https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl) is "just" 18 days ago?
> > >
> > > And on my machine I can still download videos and/or audio only via
> > > youtube-dl.
> > >
> > Well, when I started experiencing dog-slow downloads using youtube-dl, I
> > checked. I had the then-most current version - which was six months out of
> > date and the site hadn't been updated in six months.
>
> I find that installing youtube-dl via apt will get you only sparse
> updates, while when you install it directly from the homepage (its a
> python script in effect) you can use its built-in update mechansim
>  $ youtube-dl -U
> which will get you the most recent updates (about every few weeks or
> so), which today is from 2021.12.17

I know, I was using the version updated exactly that way. I haven't used the version from Debian's repository for ages.

> Youtube will do everything to make it hard to use this tool, like
> throttling, so the tool needs frequent updates to circumvent this where
> possible.

Yt-dlp hasn't given me that problem. And updating youtube-dl didn't fix it. Clearing out various things youtube-dl said to clear didn't help, either. (Neither did the developers' tendency to blame the user's network connection for being slow. 'It must be your network or proxy.' When one tool can download YT vids at megabits/second while youtube-dl is only able to do kilobits/second, it's not the user's network connection.)

> > I still had extremely
> > slow download speeds (dial-up class speeds) using youtube-dl, that went away
> > entirely using the yt-dlp fork of it.
> >
> > Trying the various youtube-dl fixes for the slow download speeds didn't fix
> > anything.
>
> Keep on trying updating eventually.

Yes, that's when I found out youtube-dl *wasn't being updated for six months* and switched.

I hope youtube-dl learns from yt-dlp. Competition is good.

---
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
exploring the landscape of god
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.