[LAU] Connect pipewire to running JACK server

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 04:37:23 CET 2022

On 1/28/22 15:05, David Kastrup wrote:
> Michael Jarosch <riotsound at riotmusic.de> writes:

>>> Thunderbolt it is.
>> Okay, but is there already a running thunderbolt device on linux?
> Thunderbolt is basically just PCIe.  I don't think that it has drivers
> of its own, like Cardbus (as opposed to PCMCIA) didn't because if you
> could not access that bus, you could not run your computer in the first
> place.
I have a Dell XPS 15 with Thunderbolt 3 and a Dell Thunderbolt dock. My
USB sound card is connected to the dock and shows up transparently as
its usual USB self and works OOTB.
> I've heard numerous people state that a stock Apple TB-FW Adapter worked
> fine with Firewire soundcards under Linux laptops (Lenovo I think) that
> had Thunderbolt interfaces (there was a time they were popular for
> somewhat model-agnostic docking stations).  Even if you had to use
> another TB3->TB1/2 adapter in between for newer Thunderbolt interfaces.
> And some FW800->FW400 cable.

I've heard that, too. I have a Presonius 12-channel Firewire device I'm
planning to use on my set up the same way - TB3>TB2 adaptor.

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com
"My password is the last 8 digits of π."