[LAU] Connect pipewire to running JACK server

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Jan 29 02:05:05 CET 2022

Michael Jarosch <riotsound at riotmusic.de> writes:

> Am 29.01.22 um 00:34 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Michael Jarosch <riotsound at riotmusic.de> writes:

>>> Has just a new interface saw the light which I haven't heard of, yet?
>> Thunderbolt it is.
> Okay, but is there already a running thunderbolt device on linux?

Thunderbolt is basically just PCIe.  I don't think that it has drivers
of its own, like Cardbus (as opposed to PCMCIA) didn't because if you
could not access that bus, you could not run your computer in the first
place.

I've heard numerous people state that a stock Apple TB-FW Adapter worked
fine with Firewire soundcards under Linux laptops (Lenovo I think) that
had Thunderbolt interfaces (there was a time they were popular for
somewhat model-agnostic docking stations).  Even if you had to use
another TB3->TB1/2 adapter in between for newer Thunderbolt interfaces.
And some FW800->FW400 cable.

>>> Sticking to the good old PCI-Clasic device, I wonder if pipewire does
>>> work well with RME HDSP. Last time I tried, I wasn't lucky.
>> Interesting since the RME HDSP is probably one of the best
>> ALSA-supported devices ever.
> That's the thing I wanted to hear… :)
> Maybe I misconfigured pw or it got confused by several tweaks I did to
> my system, the last time…
> I did a fresh debian testing install. Initializing pw should be much
> easier, now, with the new system.

Check dmesg output to see whether there is a problem with loading the
firmware.

--
David Kastrup