[LAU] [music] Hermann's mill

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:28:12 CEST 2022

Nice piece, but in my case the reaction was the opposite: I loved the
beginning and when the drop came it didn't work for me. I wanted the intro
to evolve.

I would say that Philip Glass as a representative of minimal music is
pretty outdated. I say this cautiously, since one doesn't need to
necessarily draw an evolutionary narrative here.

But these days we have way more ways to evolve a texture like that, whereas
he had to rely on orchestral means only. And so a minimal loop like the one
you mention as your inspiration or even your own intro could be evolved
into a really fascinating piece, by mostly focusing on the DSP aspect of
it. There could also be certain sub-melodic elements, like phase shifting,
changing scales or otherwise manipulating the midi/audio information that
doesn't involve changing the relationship between the notes themselves.

It's always very difficult to suggest something, especially when you're
trying to present a whole new world through just several examples, but I
decided to pick two releases by Steve Roach that demonstrate how a sequence
might work with no drops whatsoever.

   1. Steve Roach - Proof Positive
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqjoVhOTkw>
   2. Steve Roach - Into the Majestic
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ewYiOtwyw>

I would be curious if you find these interesting. But for me these pieces
don't require patience or going into trance or anything like that. They
offer a lot of variation. It's just not melodic variation.

Louigi Verona
https://louigiverona.com/