[LAU] Behringer UMC1820 experiences and sync settings?

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sun May 29 10:29:18 CEST 2022

Hi list,

I am thinking of replacing my RME HDSP CardBus+Multiface after twenty years
because it has never been really stable (firmware doesn't load reliably,
multiface is sometimes randomly detected as digiface, random I/O box
disconnects locking up jackd, etc.). This is sad because it is such a
great card. Now I am looking for similar specs with a class compliant
USB connection. I am trying to avoid Motu and the newer RME devices
because I would pay a lot for (DSP/Mixer) features that would remain
inaccessible for me from within Linux. It seems, and hesitate to say so,
that the Behringer UMC1820 is the closest to my needs. Has many I/Os and
most if not all of its settings should be configurable from the boxes
hardware controls. The only thing I am wondering about is how I can tell
the card to be a digital clock source or follower. Is this something
that can be set with alsamixer perhaps? Does anyone have the card and
can confirm and report on its reliability perhaps?

Thanks!
Peter