[LAU] Behringer UMC1820 experiences and sync settings?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun May 29 12:37:07 CEST 2022

"Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> I am thinking of replacing my RME HDSP CardBus+Multiface after twenty years
> because it has never been really stable (firmware doesn't load reliably,
> multiface is sometimes randomly detected as digiface, random I/O box
> disconnects locking up jackd, etc.). This is sad because it is such a
> great card.

Do you have a computer with genuine CardBus interface or some adapter,
like Expresscard to CardBus?  If the latter, it might help to downgrade
your Expresscard slot to Expresscard 1 speeds in the BIOS.

> It seems, and hesitate to say so, that the Behringer UMC1820 is the
> closest to my needs. Has many I/Os and most if not all of its settings
> should be configurable from the boxes hardware controls. The only
> thing I am wondering about is how I can tell the card to be a digital
> clock source or follower. Is this something that can be set with
> alsamixer perhaps? Does anyone have the card and can confirm and
> report on its reliability perhaps?

It is likely that you'll have worse SNR ratios.  Behringer has been sort
of a hit&miss company for me that has deficits in its part sources and
circuitry and support, resulting in audio quality problems, driver
problems, device durability problems.

At the same time, they have a few hits as well which not only have a
great price but actually also good value.  Off of the top of my head I
can think of the BCF2000 MIDI controller and the B-5 microphone.  I
don't have significant personal experience with Behringer soundcards,
that's just a general observation.

--
David Kastrup