[LAU] Alsa not finding soundcard

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed Oct 5 17:11:06 CEST 2022

Bengt Gördén <bengan at bag.org> writes:

> On 2022-10-05 10:32, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> A friend of mine, who is mainly a Windows user and has limited
>> knowledge of
>> Linux, has two HP laptops running Archlinux.
>> One of them works perfectly with an RME Octamic-XTC. The other
>> doesn't
>> seem to detect it as a sound card (it doesn't show up in aplay -l).
>> On both the RME is recognised as an USB device (by lsusb).
>> I'm trying to help him fix this (remotely). We compared kernel and
>> alsa
>> versions, they are the same. In fact the two Linux installations should
>> be identical, both had a full update before I shipped to two laptops
>> to him.
>> What could be the problem on the second PC ?
>
> I have an HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation for my music and a Soundcraft
> Signature 12 MTK as my main interface. Oddly enough, I had almost the
> same problem when I switched workstation from Dell to HP in early
> 2020. The first time I installed my distro (ubuntustudio), MTK was not
> recognized. I tested with lsusb and there was the interface but not in
> alsa -l. I stumbled on the thread below and tried with qjackctl and
> then it worked. No idea why that happened. After a power outage a few
> months ago, the same thing happened. I did the same thing and ran
> qjackctl and then it works again, both restarting and pulling out and
> in the interface. Inexplicable but maybe a workaround.
>
> https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=18080

I have a Teufel Bamster soundbar (not the Bluetooth version) and it
won't get recognized if the snd-usb-audio module is already loaded.  In
that case, you need to rmmod the module, then plug in the soundbar, then
load the module again.  Before I figured that out, I had to reboot once
the bar was plugged out.

Maybe compare your lsmod outputs before and after plugging in the
soundcard (and it working or not) on the respective laptops, just in
case some module being loaded or not messes with the recognition.

--
David Kastrup