[linux-audio-user] Searching for music composition tools

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Mon Feb 21 11:35:16 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb, 2005 at 12:14PM +0200, Tapio Kelloniemi spake thus:
> Hi all
>
> My question appears here most likely quite often, but I think I ask
> anyway since googling the Internet did not give any useful results.
>
> I'm searching for tools for serious music compositon. I don't want to
> generate some poor PC speaker noise, but something that sounds good. I
> don't care much whatever the method of generating the music is. Using
> a midi sequencer with soft synth or writing my compositions in a
> musical language are both OK, I can even use a tracker if the sound
> quality and ability to fine-tune everything are not
> compromised. Productivity is also an important factor since writing
> 1000 lines of code to get a single note out from soundcard is not
> worth the
> effort. The only (and probably the one which makes all this impossible) is that
> I'm blind and can only use text-based applications. So I'm interested
> about all possibilities available.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of pointers through this list.

My suggestion is supercollider.  I haven't tried it, but I hear good
reports and I'm sure the linux implementation takes etxt files as
input.  I could be wrong.  The url is http://www.audiosynth.com/

As a blind linux audio user, you're in a minority in a minority in a
minority.  I don't think anyone has ever looked into this side of
things, or if they have they haven't documented it.  So if you have
the time and inclination, writing up your findings could make entry
into linux audio orders of magnitude simpler for people that follow.
Just a suggestion.

James

> Thanks a lot for all answers.

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)