[LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon May 17 01:32:28 UTC 2010

On 05/17/2010 11:27 AM, Rick Green wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010, Niels Mayer wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> jack-audio-connection-kit.i686      0.118.0-1.fc12
>>> @updates
>>>

>> You should do a "yum update" after adding the CCRMA repository. Then
>> you'll
>> upgrade to the latest Jack:
>> jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.i686
>   I did that this morning.
>>
>> You also need to config /etc/group adding your group name to
>> 'jackuser' just
>> like you did for
>> video, audio, polkituser, pulse, pulse-rt, pulse-access, rtkit,
>> cdrom, tape,
>> and whatever else you need special access to.
>>
>> After doing that you probably will need to reboot once, unless you know
>> enough to disable and restart enough systems to get it to reread
>> /etc/security/limits.conf which are changed by the CCRMA Jackd. Also,
>> you
>> may not like the particular limits set, I changed mine to:
>> ( see http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-jack2-p28288652.html ).
>>
>> ## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit
>>
>> ## NPM changed '*' to @jackuser to limit priority escalation to jackd.
>>
>> @jackuser - rtprio 99
>>
>> @jackuser - memlock 4194304
>>
>> @jackuser - nice -10
>>

>> Also, unless you're a masochist, you should totally disable
>> selinux ("chkconfig --level 0123456 restorcond off") by adding
>> "selinux=0"
>> to /boot/grub/grub.conf e.g.
>>
>>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64 ro
>>> root=/dev/mapper/vg_gnulem-lv_root LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>>> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=emacs2 vga=0x307
>>> selinux=0 nomodeset 5
>>

>> Above, in addition to
>> http://old.nabble.com/uninstall-pulseaudio-to-increase-audio-app-stability-across-updates-(was-Re:-yum-update)-to27759501.html#a27759501

>> also disabled the pulseaudio of video -- kernel mode setting -- and
>> behold
>> the glory of masses of scrolling text at bootup, stable updates, and no
>> weird ATI radeon bugs.
>>
>> Speaking of pulseaudio,
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-jack2-p28288652.html is
>> a potential bad interaction between pulseaudio and jack (through
>> /etc/security/limits.conf, potential priority escalation issue).
>>
>   Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll read the articles at those
> links, but for now, I'm trying to figure out how to make this system
> work with a vanilla configuration as supplied by fedora + CCRMA.  My
> belief is if those tweaks are necessary, they'll be implemented in
> either the fedora or CCRMA install scripts.
>
>   a few more observations since my last post:
>
>   'desktop' audio isn't working either.  I just realized that I'm
> getting no beeps or startup sounds from fedora.  The motherboard sound
> system was detected and automagically configured by Ubuntu, but F12
> seems to have detected it, but not generated a functional
> configuration.  I wonder if that is causing the lock-ups of jackd and
> Ardour?
>
>   The fedora12 installation didn't detect the other OS installs on the
> system, and it over-wrote the MBR, so right now I haven't figured out
> how to boot into either my kubuntu 7.10 or Ubuntustudio 10.04
> systems.  I've looked at the grub.conf on the various partitions, and
> they have radically different syntax, so it looks like f12 and US10.04
> are running different versions of grub, with different config syntax,
> so I can't simply cut'n'paste a few menuentry sections into the f12
> grub.conf.

Sorry if this has been done but there is a lot of info to go over here.

You may need to run pulseaudio -k before you start jackd. You can add
that line to the start commands in qjackctl.

Also have you verified that the card can play any audio directly through
alsa or pulse audio?

Have you unmuted and adjusted the output with alsamixer or gnome-mixer

You can run alsamixer on the terminal.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd