[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

hermann meyer brummer- at web.de
Fri Feb 8 12:14:01 UTC 2013

Am 08.02.2013 12:50, schrieb Paul Davis:

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:38 AM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com
> <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com>> wrote:
>

>         I do realize that I sound pig-headed, but a license is an
>         agreement.
>         If you didn't sign one, how can you possibly violate the terms?
>
>         "3. The Licensee has no permission to sell, licence, give-away
>         and/or
>         distribute the Licensed Software Developer Kit or parts of it
>         in any
>         way, on any medium, including the Internet, to any other person,
>         including sub-licensors of the Licensee or companies where the
>         Licensee has any involvement. This includes re-working this
>         specification, or reverse-engineering any products based upon this
>         specification."
>
>         The Licensee, Dave, is someone who has been granted a licence.
>

>     Using something without agreeing to the terms (licence) under
>     which the provider of that something offers it is theft. "Of
>     course I can steal and use your $50000 software: I never agreed to
>     your license!" "Of course I can steal and use your car: I never
>     agreed that it's yours!"
>

> as has been patiently explained, vestige is a CLEAN ROOM reverse
> engineered version of VST, that was created by someone who did NOT
> download the VST SDK, did not USE the VST SDK to develop it, did not
> obtain anything from steinberg to develop it.

Dave, as a addition: That have nothing to do with accept the license or
not, only, when you have sign the license, you cant do a CLEAN ROOM
reverse engineering of the VST SDK any more, because you have properly
had a look at the source.  Therefrom you get a knowledge which you are
didn't allow to use.