[Consortium] linuxaudio.org

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 19:44:49 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:46:12 +0100, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> >the only problem i have is with the use of the word LAD - there are a
> >few female linux audio users and developers *gasp!* and its quite
> >aggressive to be confronted with the word LAD, especially given its
> >meaning in UK society... i find it off-putting....
>                                      ^^^^^^|^^^^^^
> i love english! :-D -----------------------+
>

> funny you should mention that. i think nobody ever intended a pun. it
> slipped on the page because "linux-audio-dev" became tedious to type and
> read after a while. but why do you think it's aggressive ?
> does "LAD" have another meaning except for guy, bloke, chap, etc.?
> (i learnt english from books where gay still means happy, so you'll have
> to excuse me here...)

Its pretty negative:

http://www.wordreference.com/english/definition.asp?en=laddish

laddish ['lædiS]
adjective  (informal, usually derogatory)
characteristic of male adolescents or young men, esp. by being rowdy,
macho, or immature

I dont have a serious problem with it myself, but I tend to say L.A.D. not
Lad to avoid confusion.

- Steve