[Consortium] Publicity etc...

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Fri Sep 17 04:57:22 EDT 2004

Hi Andrea,

>     > I'm also working with Ron Parker to compile a promotional CD
>     > of 'made with Linux' music. I've selected 15 tracks from over
>     > 900MB of Oggs and MP3s collected from the internet, and Ron
>     > is doing the mastering using Jamin at Mirror Image Studios. I
>     > hoping we'll be able to get this CD distributed as a magazine
>     > coverdisc by the end of this year.
>
> Maybe you  could do a CfM  (Call for Music) on
> users at lists.agnula.org, if you haven't already  - there are a
> number  of people there that are doing   experimentations with
> doing  music  with  GNU/Linux and  Free Software

Actually it's been the decision making rather than the finding which
has been the more difficult part. I was easily able to collect the
tracks from various websites, but I guess there's around 15 hours of
music there. In the end I settled for a simple formula of one track
per artist, usually their shortest one available so that we can get a
lot of different styles on the CD.

>     > On the hardware manufacturers liaison side, I've been talking
>     > to AMD on a  regular  basis, and we now  have  a  technical
>     > contact there for x86_64 porting issues.  Please email me if
>     > you'd  like to make contact with them.
>
> What is the technical contact actually going to bring?  I mean, are
> they willing to lend an x86_64 machine for testing or are they just
> answering questions

AMD has discussed the issue of hardware sponsorship - I think we
should make a concrete proposal for that, and the AGNULA project
would be a good candidate.

But they are also interested in helping with technical liaison on
native x86_64 ports of music and audio software. AMD's Digital Media
& Entertainment division works with several film and music studios in
the US, and I'd guess that at least some of those film studios are
using Linux already, for graphics work.

Cheers

Daniel