[Consortium] request for licensing advice from ron parker

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Fri Jan 14 05:14:08 EST 2005

Hi Ron,

> I'm trying to find a specific license that exactly
> covers my interests. Maybe it's a Creative Commons
> license.

You can use CC licences to cover most possibilities. Attribution is
taken as a given with the version 2 licences. The only problem is
that CC licences are very lengthy and lawyeristic (the 'legal code'),
although there is a summary you can provide for users (the 'commons
deed').

Try this one for starters:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/

> I'm not sure if restricting modification of the
> library would prevent it from being included in Debian
> distributions.

It would - see item 3 here:

http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

However, Debian does have a mechanism for 'non-free' packages.

Cheers

Daniel