[Consortium] Logo update

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun May 21 14:17:15 EDT 2006

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 01:47:50PM -0400, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Good point! However, I still believe that, since we are talking here about a
> branding effort, this is not so much about being in control, but rather
> about ensuring the most efficient outreach which in this case boils down to
> consistency. This is especially important for a niche environment such as
> ours.

The penguin and letters sharp and distortion free with their relative
positioning intact is all the consistency we need. If somone would be so
careless to place the frameless black version on very dark brown, it would have
to be someone with such a lack of design skill that all hope would be lost
anyway ;)

> Ironically, all this is moot since I love the latest proposed logos on black
> background :-) .Perhaps we should provide them with the black part being
> transparent so that it is more easily blended with whatever background--as a
> matter of fact we could simply keep these since if they are placed against a
> white background, we in effect get the current logo anyhow...

I think it would be best to go with only the rectangular versions of this set
for the bright on dark case. You can't see it on black, but the shapes have
black outlines, as that is much nicer with coloured backgrounds.
For a website with a bright orange, green or whatever background, I myself
would most likely not want to have a box around the logo.
Finaly, a recangle with rounded corners is a very weak shape regarding
recognition. The penguin and text makes for a strong shape, where any
addition can only take away from.

For tomorrow I hope to get around to testing the logo with a printer.
Afterwards I will quite likely adjust the line width for the penguin.
That should be the last tweaks for real, then :)

BTW, an interesting quote from #lad as reaction to the logo as seen
on my last blog post:
"ugly :(
(...)
If people from windows world look the logo they still think all our audio
software is running in 8bit and have text only (or worse, motif) interface"

I got angry, but now I also see an amusing aspect :)

Cheers,
Thorsten Wilms