[Consortium] RE: re: VST licensing progress

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sat Nov 4 00:20:15 EST 2006

> Would it be possible to compile the headers for the VST separately, and
> then link them as a external library? Audacity does this with LAME. It
> can use the library, but you just have to download a separate binary.
> It's not the best solution from a software libre standpoint, but might
> avoid the issues of licensing.

Interesting...

AFAIK, this would still require each end-user to deal with downloading SDK
from Steinberg before compiling the lib. So, yes, it would make it easier
when dealing with multiple VST-dependent apps, but it would still not
alleviate the overhead like the arrangement we are currently hoping for. In
addition, it would prevent distributions from pre-packaging the lib making
the out-of-box experience likely less "polished" (although granted, we could
shrink-wrap the entire process via some kind of an user-friendly
post-install process). Perhaps this could be our plan "C"?

Anyone else care to comment?

Ico