[Consortium] RE: re: VST licensing progress

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Sat Nov 4 09:48:50 EST 2006

On Saturday 04 Nov 2006 00:25, Ashton Snelgrove wrote:
> Would it be possible to compile the headers for the VST separately,
> and then link them as a external library?

That's broadly what we do now with dssi-vst.  (dssi-vst also runs the
plugin in a separate process instead of within the same library, but it
does that for technical reasons, not legal ones.  It could usefully be
updated to use the same method as xfst, running the VST directly from
within the DSSI plugin library, with no additional legal problems.)

There are limitations with dssi-vst that are due to the "impedance
mismatch" between the DSSI and VST APIs.  Fixing that, by designing
your library API specifically to resemble VST, might get you back in to
an interestingly ambiguous legal area.

So there are various possible technical hacks, but yes, it would be
better not to have to use (more of) them.  Apart from anything else, it
would be nice to feel there was no impediment to doing things like
using the VST logo when promoting one's software.

Chris