[Consortium] Re: [LAD] supporting developers

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Apr 5 05:44:13 EDT 2007

Dave Robillard wrote:
>> cool, using Mac OSX as server os and Linux as multimedia platform :)
>
> cool?  I might describe it in a slightly different way ;)

I concur. it's not cool!

We don't think it's a good idea to install linuxPPC just now; but the
underlying OS should be transparent to all LADs/LAUs anyway!

> Seriously though, linuxaudio.org pushes pretty hard to be the umbrella
> organization for all things LINUX audio.

right, gnu/Linux audio - not gnu/Linux servers. - FWIW: we use GNU
software on this server. - but feel free to take this OT issue to the
consortium mailing list. I'm not going to waste time for matters we can
not change easily, now!

> It's a bit ridiculous to not
> even be running a free unix (let alone Linux) on a _web server_ of all
> things.

yes, it's kind of an ironic joke.

IIRC BSD gets more out of your _web server_ hardware *and* it features
JAILs, chroot-envs and security that gnu/Linux does not [yet]. - If
there is going to be a shell login server for LADs to upload web-content
etc. (alike shell.sf.net):  it'd  prefer a LINUX-compat freeBSD!

Nevertheless once we get them, at least our mail, log and file server(s)
are going to be pure gnu/Linux!

#robin