[Consortium] Made in Linux Vol.2

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Thu Feb 14 05:37:30 EST 2008

Hi Ico,

> 3) recruit a jury who will judge submissions

Sometimes it's better to have a benevolent dictator approach in matters
of taste :-) If there are lots of people who'd like to have a go at
this, maybe we could have a series, where each disc has a personal
selection on it.

I really enjoyed putting together the first disc, although in retrospect
there were some mistakes in the mastering. I'm happy to re-master it now
that I have more experience with JAMin, if there's any interest in me
doing that.

> 4) oversee the judging process, and inform the participants of their
> submission's acceptance and/or rejection

Maybe the tracks which don't make the disc should be available on the
website. Popularity isn't everything, but they could be rated up or down
by listeners, and then the highest rated tracks be added to an Icecast
playlist. Vorbis high bitrate stream, of course :-)

> 5) ensure that the licensing of the works is taken care of with selected
> artists

I found there was really no consensus on this issue. We had the full
range from 'public domain' to 'all rights reserved' on the first disc.
If we insist on certain licences, then we'll exclude a great number of
artists.

Cheers!

Daniel