[Consortium] strange n00b post or: how I learned to embrace open source and stop making money

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Mon Aug 24 04:31:34 EDT 2009

Hi Raphaël,

> Harrison consoles' Xdubber runs Ardour on a custom 64studio distro but
> it's a dubber not a console.
> However, the Midas XL8 console runs Linux but I'm afraid it's only used
> for the network/UI/GUI parts while the sound treatment still relies on
> proprietary DSP.

The Allen & Heath iLive is Linux based, as confirmed by a trade show
representative of the company, although I don't have any details.
http://www.ilive-digital.com/

The Mackie Digital 8 Bus display looks uncannily like Ardour's mixer,
but a Mackie representative claimed to me that the device runs on
Windows XP Embedded. It's hard to confirm that without having a close look.

> I also know that the Denon DNC-640 CD/Network player runs on embedded
> Linux (uClinux) because I own one but these devices violate the GPL;
> they're unable to give me the source codes.

Unsure how, rather than unable, I think. I believe linuxaudio.org could
help these companies avoid GPL violations in future; this is still new
territory for most of them.

> There might be a lot of embedded devices already running Linux we are
> not aware of...

For sure, but they often keep quiet because it's part of their
competitive advantage. Consider the developer time they are saving when
creating complex, low-latency, network-capable products.

Cheers!

Daniel