[Jack-Devel] Recorded from OSS /dev/dsp sound is too high pitched on FreeBSD

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Mon Jan 9 18:24:34 CET 2017

On 01/09/17 17:16, Chris Caudle wrote:

> On Mon, January 9, 2017 12:06 am, Yuri wrote:
>> My OSS device with the mike doesn't accept 48000. During
>> sysctl(SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED) it always falls back to 32000. Jack fails to
>> process this properly and records the signal with the wrong pitch.
>
> I looked back at your first email and you never showed the entire
> output from jackd as it starts.  The console messages printed should
> display the determined paramaters.  On ALSA systems there is a message
> showing what sample rate is used if it is not the same as the sample
> rate requested. Maybe OSS does not return that information.  That
> would be a limitation of OSS or maybe an error in the jackd OSS
> driver, not a generic jackd problem.  I have never heard of anyone
> using the OSS driver, how many users of that are there?

Back in the days, the consensus was "We're already overloaded with
making ALSA work, OSS has exactly zero priority". There was even talk to
delete the OSS code entirely.

I vaguely recall that folks were using jackd2 instead, but maybe I'm
making this up.

What I'm trying to say here is: to the best of my knowledge, there's
nobody on the jack team who cares about OSS, at least not in the context
of jackd1. You're most likely on your own.

I agree that this is potentially a shortcoming in jackd's OSS driver, so
whoever needs this is invited to send in a patch. Don't expect any of
the existing jackd devs to fix it for you, this is simply unrealistic.

Cheers