[Jack-Devel] Looking for help setting up NetJack over WLAN from a Windoze box

Hanspeter Portner dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch
Tue May 23 18:22:07 CEST 2017

On 23.05.2017 16:50, jack-devel at malikc.neomailbox.net wrote:
> ...But it only works great over Ethernet. And I'd very much like it to
> work over WLAN, which it doesn't. Over wireless, the sound is completely
> garbled. AFAICT, it's a network issue.

NetJACK sends its audio data via UDP [1], e.g. there's no resending of lost
packets like in TCP. If packets are lost (which is *very* likely over wireless),
the packets are really lost and you miss a chunk of audio frames, hence your
garbled sound at the receiver.

> That being said, reading the doc and looking around the web for info
> suggests it might very well be the case that NetJack2 simply isn't
> suited for WLAN transport. Indeed, some resources indicate that NetJack1
> would be more adapted.
Same problem there...

[1]
https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2#8-why-do-i-miss-packets-