[Jack-Devel] Jack_Capture not starting anymore after having Jackd running as systemd service

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 23:36:08 CET 2018

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 11:27 PM Kjetil Matheussen
<k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 11:18 PM jack at microfx.de <jack at microfx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Ah, that seems to be the problem! Thanks for the quick reply!
> >
> > My initial idea was to add this as well as a service but jack_capture needs user input - is this possible with a service? Like an additional script that triggers the recording?
> >

> How about letting jack_capture listen to OSC?
> jack_capture --help-osc
>
> Then you can run jack_capture as root like this:
>
>    jack_capture --osc 7777 --filename-prefix
> /recording/directory/jack_capture_recording_
>
> And as a normal user you can run
>
>    oscsend localhost 7777 /jack_capture/tm/start
>    oscsend localhost 7777 /jack_capture/tm/stop
>
> to start and stop recording.
>
> Robin Gareus might help more on this, since he wrote that code.
> I'm not entirely sure if this is the best way to use the OSC interface.

I just tried it, and this seems to work the way you want it. But you
need to run jack_capture with the "-tm" option to start it in time
machine mode.

You might also want to use the "--daemon" option for jack_capture,
which will stop it from printing stuff to stdout.