[Jack-Devel] How to profile jack cpu load?

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Sat Jul 14 21:40:27 CEST 2018

On 07/14/2018 03:28 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Sat, July 14, 2018 2:21 pm, Tim wrote:
>> All user-built software is usually installed in /usr/local.
>> Most systems automatically look in /usr/local/bin FIRST
>>    before /usr/bin when you type an un-pathed program name
>
> I still don't follow how the applications (e.g. Ardour) get the correct
> version of libjack.so loaded, /usr/local isn't even in the default ld
> search path.

Ah, terribly sorry, yes, some distros don't include that path.
Others do. And they /should/.

Assuming that is done, when you build and install software the
  installer usually is supposed to automatically run ldconfig
  which automatically switches over to the newly installed libraries.

To go back to the packaged version you MUST uninstall your
  built version.

>  Putting a locally compiled version of jackd into
> /usr/local/bin seems like a recipe for loading a new jackd executable
> while having the jack-aware applications load the libjack.so that is found
> in /usr/lib64/.  Am I missing something about how the shared libraries get
> loaded?

Correct, that would happen if /usr/local was NOT in ldconfig's
  search path.
That's why it really should be in the path if users are to build
  their own software.

Tim.