[Jack-Devel] How to profile jack cpu load?

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 22:39:31 CEST 2018

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 8:40 PM Tim <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:
> On 07/14/2018 03:28 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> > On Sat, July 14, 2018 2:21 pm, Tim wrote:
> >> All user-built software is usually installed in /usr/local.
> >> Most systems automatically look in /usr/local/bin FIRST
> >>    before /usr/bin when you type an un-pathed program name
> >
> > I still don't follow how the applications (e.g. Ardour) get the correct
> > version of libjack.so loaded, /usr/local isn't even in the default ld
> > search path.
>
> Ah, terribly sorry, yes, some distros don't include that path.
> Others do. And they /should/.

Not that I think this is a good idea - but for completeness it is possible
to just compile JACK 1 or 2 locally (aka, no install to /usr/ or /usr/local)
and then us LD_PRELOAD to have the linker load the required .so's before
starting JACK.

This ain't pretty, but if there's no JACK .so's in LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all,
and you *must* manually specify them all the time, at least its human error
if things go wrong.

Re-hash; this is a "solution" that I don't really recommend in this case,
however LD_PRELOAD can be quiet useful in other situations (like the
magic of JACK Interposer : https://github.com/raboof/jack_interposer : )
hence my promoting it here.

<snip lots of conversation>

Regards, -Harry