[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Fri Mar 22 09:18:34 CET 2019

Thanks a lot Ralf,
I am moving to Motu which will really6 ease things up. The Presonus gear
is not very well thought through, but it is not the problem here.

I am hesitant to use jack as it almost never work consistently,
pulseaudio at least works. If I uninstall pulseaudio I will lose all my
bluetooth enabled ipads and galaxys etc. That works just great. Pulse
has other problems being a systemd applicat5ion there is a lot of built
in garbage I agree, but wihout it I dont think anything can take its
place currently.

If jack would just be deterministic, I can work with it. I wrote some of
the most complex software on this planet, but it is difficult for me to
understand jack as it has no consistent specification. I have read all I
could find on the web, and it is involved and well done, but with no
consistent specification a uesr can actually get a handle on how to use
it creatively.

I used pulse and jack together for about a month with no problems, then
jacki just went awol for no apparent reason with no updates or software
installed in that period. I dont know what triggered it.

Since you say pulse does it, what is the exact mechanism by which pulse
interfere with jack. I f there were a rigorous specification for jack,
it would be easy to understand and work through these problems.

I would love for jack to work, but it keeps biting me, and i am willing
to understand it but it seems to be etherware, which works very well
just outside userspace.

As I understand it jack should be an either/or/add switch for audio
streams but that functionality is not properly declared. I found that
jack seemingly does not really do direct hardware access, which further
complicates things. If it in principle rely on alsa then those
interfaces needs to be very well documented how it communicates with
alsa, what the exceptions and conditions are etc.

Without Jack Linuxaudio becomes rigid and an everyone competes for the
same port type of situation, that is why I stick to it, but if there was
e.g. just a hard patchbay application that would replace jack I would
use it in an instant. It would not be elegant but would clearly route
signals by hand.

That is maybe what is needed until jack becomes user friendly.