[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Holger Marzen holger at marzen.de
Fri Mar 22 09:27:21 CET 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:

> I am moving to Motu which will really6 ease things up. The Presonus gear is
> not very well thought through, but it is not the problem here.

Good luck.

> I am hesitant to use jack as it almost never work consistently, pulseaudio at
> least works. If I uninstall pulseaudio I will lose all my bluetooth enabled
> ipads and galaxys etc. That works just great. Pulse has other problems being a
> systemd applicat5ion there is a lot of built in garbage I agree, but wihout it
> I dont think anything can take its place currently.

The problem isn't jack but the multitude of audio systems with Linux.

The biggest problem for a jack newbie is to reliably keep Pulsaudio away
from the audio adapter hardware. It grabs the adapter and then jackd
can't use it.

Solution:
Configure Pulseaudio NOT to use the soundcard but jack-sink and
jack-source, so it outputs to a running jackd.
There are many ways to do it. I use /etd/pulse/default.pa with

load-module module-jack-source
load-module module-jack-sink channels=2

The addition "channels=2" is important when you have an audio interface
with more than 2 channels, e.g. the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Without
"channels=2" the SoundCloud player sounds odd because Pulseaudio fiddles
around with the channels. Maybe there is another solution, too.

See http://marzen.de/Holger/pulseaudio_and_jack/

Regards
Holger