[Jack-Devel] Uninstalled Pulseaudio Jack/jackd2 Jack Reinstalled still wont start.

liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com
Tue Mar 26 15:44:58 CET 2019

On 2019-03-26 09:44, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 3/26/19 5:28 AM, liebrecht at grossmann-venter.com wrote:
>> After jack is installed, I try to start it through mixbus which is
>> about the only application I found that can actually start jack. I
>> used mixbus for about 6 months with jack on another distro. qjacktcl
>> does nothing but parse irrelevance and promisses so I dont use it
>> anymore.
>
> That remark is bullshit and shows that you really need to change the
> way you're thinking about problem solving.

Sorry I disagree, qjcakctl has given me nothing but trouble and still
does.
It goes much better without it.
All it arguably does is to formulate a jack string....which the user
should do on command line anyway, and then output mystery log errors
which are substandard to reading the logs yourself.
I have never found any constructive use for it other than "feelgood".
Mixbus worked great once I removed qjackctl on my previous system.
qjackctl was single most annoying interference problem.

> Simplify the problem.
> First, look at aplay -L to see if hw:VSL,0 is alive and well.

As I reported already in another post it is recognised.

> Now, start jack on the command line, starting with the paramters
> mixbux helpfully suggests:
>
> jackd -t 200 -p 2048 -R -T -d alsa -n 2 -r 48000 -p 128 -d hw:VSL,0
>
> It should fail in the same way you described above. If not, there is
> something fishy in the way mixbus starts jackd.

As already reported, mixbus starts jack and jack runs IFF I dont start
jack with qjackctl. Once qjackctl started jack, mixbus wont work. Mixbus
starts jack with a string they disclose in the terminal output and it
works.

According to patchage as I reported in a previous post, mixxbus is
connected to jack, but I get no signals from jack for the 1818vsl inputs
in mixbus.

> -n2 p128 looks like a pretty aggressive timing for a multichannel
> interface. Try -n3 for a start, and -p1024, then gradually lower the
> latency, but only if you really need it.

I know I am just trying my documented default settings that worked
perfectly before.