[Jack-Devel] Jack Problems

Sunset Tech swansong.tech at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:10:27 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019, 8:52 AM John Rigg <jd at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 12:45:47PM +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> > > Possible, but not as simple as you imagine.
> >
> > Just allocate an extra buffer for each port when creating the port.
> > The extra memory used by this doesn't matter. But maybe for your
> > usage, it could, so perhaps there should be a compile time option to
> > disable it.
>
> Yes, it would need an option to disable it. It's not unusual to have
> a few hundred ports in a complex setup. A single MADI interface uses
> 128 ports just for the hardware in/outs, for example.

Agreed, I am in the business of using an increasingly large number of ports
and wringing as much audio execution time out of the system as possible.
even small memory/execution overheads add up quickly in this context.
Additionally it is my opinion that a well written JACK client must include
its own volume adjustment. in fact, I have yet to encounter one I use that
does not.
Furthmore I do not believe it can be That much trouble to insert some
manner of volume adjustment, eg those found in patchmatrix or mentioned so
far, between those that dont.