[Jackaudio] JackPilot revival on macOS 64 bits systems

BAVU Eric eric.bavu at lecnam.net
Wed Jan 6 18:12:44 CET 2021

Hello all,

As you know, JackPilot cannot be launched anymore on modern macOS systems, and Stéphane Letz told us he won’t work on it anymore.

I missed it so much (I never liked very much qjackcontrol on macOS) and feared that this would be a sign that Jack would be abondonned some day on mac, so I decided to rewrite it from scratch in Swift language.

So Jack Copilot is born,and I hope it will be useful for mac users that enjoy the use of the Jack server on mac, even without JackRouter, which is my case on a day to day basis.

This is my very first mac app and my very first use of the Swift language, but I think the jack developers and community gave me so much in the last years that it would be worth the effort.

You will find it at https://gitlab.com/ericbavu/jack-copilot .

For the mac users that do not want to compile the xcode project for JackCopilot, the repository also contains a dmg installer<https://gitlab.com/ericbavu/jack-copilot/-/raw/master/JackCoPilot.dmg> for JackCopilot and Patchage.

Of course it is open source, and I also discussed with David Robillard (drobilla) and compiled a working version of Patchage 1.0.2 on Catalina and newer versions for use as a companion with Jack Copilot.

Feel free to fork, patch, and submit a pull request !

The next step for me would be to add a menubar companion so that simple actions can be accessed more easily, and to implement a save/recall settings, but so far the app works as expected on Catalina and Mojave.

I’m interested by testers on BigSur also, but I won’t upgrade before 6 months to this version so if anyone is ready to tell me if it works on this version (and with Apple Silicon also), you’re welcome !

I’m still happy with Jack 0.92b3 compiled  by Stéphane Letz, so this has not been tested with the latest releases by Falktx, but I don’t see any reason why this should not work. Of course testing is also welcome by the community on this front.

Best regards,

Eric Bavu
Maître de Conférences HDR - Acoustique
Laboratoire de Mécanique des Structures et des Systèmes Couplés
LMSSC / EPN 04 Bureau 31.0E.02, 2 rue Conté, 75003, Paris, France