[Jackaudio] Distorted sound after upgrade to Kubuntu 22.10

Stephan Auerochs stephan.auerochs at bosurus.de
Mon Jan 30 20:08:18 CET 2023

Hello,

I'm running Siduction (Linux), so I can't speak especially for Ubuntu.

I'm using a DAW within a virtual machine (QEMU/KVM), connecting audio
with jack-net to the Siduction host, where jackd  (jack daemon) is running.
After Siduction introduced Pipewire years ago, my experience was that
Pipewire grabs all (USB) ALSA devices, preventing jackd from accessing
them directly. Pipewire only offers a jack API for jack clients, but it
couldn't work with the jack-net client. My configuration was not working
anymore, because jackd (and qjackctrl) was not involved anymore.

So I decided  to deinstall pipewire on the Siduction host, and run jackd
as the main sound server again; within qjackctrl I configured jackd to
access my Focusrite 8i6 directly. Additionally I installed
pulseaudio-jack for non-jack-capable applications (alternative is to run
pipewire on top of jackd, but I have not tried).
This works still as my low latency, distortion-free audio solution.

Not sure what the advantages of pipewire are; seems to aim on a
multimedia (video?) all-in-one solution, but as far as it is not network
capable it's useless for me. Also I'm not sure if the Pipewire team sets
high priority on the jack API in the future.

If jackd is still available on Ubuntu, deinstallation of Pipewire may be
a (radical) solution.

Regards