[linux-audio-dev] GUIless friendly applications

Benno Senoner sbenno at gardena.net
Tue Nov 5 13:46:00 UTC 2002

We at the LinuxSampler project,
http://linuxsampler.sourceforge.net   will go the GUIless route too
and as Juan L. suggested it is probably wise to use a TCP socket because it
allows remote controllability which can sometimes be very helpful.
Imagine these racks found in webfarms starting making music :-)

Anyway as our project advances, I hope that some good soul will implement
a CLI interface for the sampler too so that it becomes more accessibile for
people with disabilities.

I agree with your stance about merging GUI and engine code: it is a mess and
often introduces many maintenance and performance problems.
Most audio programmer so not seem to realize that using mutexes called from
GUI threads that share data with the audio thread speaks SUICIDE because you
will never be able to ensure that your sub-5 msec audio engine does not drop
out under heavy load. Yes ... (blocking) mutexes simplify a bit the
programmer's task , but I'm sorry to say it your product will never be usable
in the pro audio field.

Hoping for a peaceful, client-server centric audio application world.
:-)

Benno
--
http://linuxsampler.sourceforge.net
Building a professional grade software sampler for Linux.