[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] hel p for a levelmeter]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 23 16:53:01 UTC 2002

 >  this is what's on the page:

 >Creative Labs | Soundblaster Live Platinum | EMU10K1 | Install |
 >(4)[A][B]

 >  bottom of the page:
 >
 >(4) Hardware mixing supported

 >NOTE: Just because an I/O is listed does NOT mean it is guaranteed to
 >be supported. Please check the mailing
 >list archives before making purchase decisions based on requirements
 >forIEC958 or ADAT I/O.

 >[A] IEC958 RCA Input
 >[B] IEC958 RCA Output

 >which does not have a lot of informational value (I know what it does
 >not mean but what does it mean?) and it definitely does not imply
there >is a problem of getting the docs to support certain functionality.

Hmm. It has a certain informational value although I will concede that
when I started getting into alsa these comments were cryptic for me
then. They assume a certain level of knowledge is known when referring
to the notes.

I'll try to think of a way to word it for users who may not have the
requisite knowledge.

Apart from that at the top of the page it's explicitely stated that some
  companies have not provided the required docs to enable support for a
device. I have always noticed those comments however it may just be my
angle on things. I have made some changes to the matrix to be more
obvious that even if we have the docs we may not have all the necessary
parts. Although I would've thought that most people already know that
about Linux hardware support.

As you know the known bugs section in the driver notes gives explicit
information about things that we know do not work. I'll look making a
form for adding specifically to this file.

I would like to do that and also make it easier for people to post info
about supported devices. I have most of the work done but not finished
yet. As it is I currently stay up to 6:00 in the morning many nights of
the month. I'm lucky though as I only have to work 16 hours a week in my
paying job. I could be working many more hours but have made the
decision to sacrifice some of my current earnings in order to build
Boost Hardware and  DJCJ. Along the way I have also picked up the alsa
website :)

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're
kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol
and put_symbol I think we used to have..."
- Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem