[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] hel p for a levelmeter]

STEFFL, ERIK (SBCSI) es6269 at sbc.com
Mon Oct 28 12:39:01 UTC 2002

  IMO it does not matter how well justified it is by POSIX or whatever else
if the end result is unusable system. In case of 'file' files it makes
(some) sense to block, however in case of sound I can't really think of
realistic situation where I would want to block. It's either busy (and let
program handle that) or realtime mixing should be offered. If they are
concerned about POSIX that blocking could be defualt, user would be able to
change it to either non-blocking returning EBUSY or non-blocking real time
mixing (sw, if card does not support it in hw)

  anyway, thanks for background info.

> >  except of the blocking of sounds (the problem mentioned
> above) I am quite
> >dissapointed by functionality of linux drivers I have tried,
> I have sb live
> >platinum and (last time I checked):
>
> "i am quite disappointed that a group of volunteers who work for no
> monetary compensation have failed to implement all the features i
> want. i haven't offered to pay them, but i really hope they get all
> these features working really soon because its really irritating not
> being able to ..."

  well:

  - let's kill the messenger,

  - that's what open source promises.