[Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: why is no-one responding are you all just a bunch of &*^%&^%^& wits???

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Wed Feb 12 13:05:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 09:49, Paul Davis wrote:
> >If you are interested, I am sure people would pay for binaries of
> >ardour.I would. I know other musicans that would.I could get more
> >musicans to. Personally, I have been waiting for it since I first heard
> >about it. Why not release something?
>
> because i am tired of downloading open source projects that are still
> so clearly under development. i am tired of the impression that this
> creates. when i get hold of something like freqtweak, which i can
> compile or get binaries for, and the thing just works ... that is the
> right impression. the wrong impression comes from stupid bugs,
> inability to cleanly exit the program (still a core problem with
> ardour), and functionality that is obviously necessary and either
> missing or incomplete.

ahhh, you are a perfectionist! I see your point. Open source software is
always under dev, unless it's not maintained. You _could_ release
'alpha' versions clearly stating that it is alpha condition.

> 				      People are waiting! Most open
> >source projects release binaries throughout their development phase.
> >Instead of adding cool new features for years on end, why not release
> >something that musicans can use.
>
> that's precisely what i am trying to do. however, my definition of
> "something that musicians can use" might be different from yours.

Well, obviously, ardour isn't at the 'release' stage, but perhaps beta
or even alpha. Perhaps someone else with more time, could release a
binary version for you. Pick one or two target dists, and release alpha
binaries or such. You'd certainly get more bug reports. :)

> jazz++ has been around for a long time, and is available as a
> binary. why isn't it widely loved and used? because it really isn't
> very good. i know that i tried to use it many times, and found it,
> well, frankly i found it completely awful.

> ardour still has lots of significant bugs and a few design issues that
> need addressing before i want the general population judging it. to
> release ready-to-run copies now, or even tarballs that would help
> people who can't/won't use CVS to try to compile it ... well, all i
> think it would do is to increase the number of people who have "been
> there, don't want to go back" with respect to the program.

Personally, I keep checking back to projects that are in some kind of
beta stage, or too buggy to use and look interesting, to see what things
have changed. Heck, I'll even use software day to day that crashes
constantly, if I think it's useful enough. (mozilla - early stages comes
to mind)

> when ardour is in a state where i believe (rightly or wrongly) that a
> reasonably typical target user can sit down and just use it without
> encountering bugs when recording a typical 12-32 track piece, there
> will be binaries.

People are willing now to support you financially now, Paul.Paypal might
be a good idea, if you dont mind begging till ardour is at a point where
you can release to the general public.

> --p

My cat's a debugger....

Potter, Lorn, "ljp"
core developer / Web Administrator
Project OPIE- the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment
http://opie.handhelds.org | http://www.opie.info (german) |
http://www.opie.us
IRC: irc.freenode.net #opie #opie.de

llornkcor at handhelds.org